The school curriculum at NHGS provides all students with an entitlement to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum. The curriculum encompasses not only the subjects that students experience but the routines, events, activities and opportunities that are provided within and beyond the school day. We want all students to be inspired and challenged. The organisation and structure ensures continuity and coherence and enables students to become successful learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens.
The School Handbooks contain a wealth of information you will need as a student or a parent at the school. These are available through Downloadable Information.
As both a selective and specialist school the following enhancements in the academic curriculum provide stimulus and challenge in Years 7 to 11:
• All students study separate Sciences – Biology, Chemistry and Physics to GCSE
• All students study Mathematics which is set across the year from Year 8; there are a variety of options available at GCSE level depending on ability
• All students experience a range of enrichment activities in science and mathematics that stimulate their curiosity and engage their interest
• All students study French in Years 7 to 9 and German or Spanish in Year 8 and 9. They then continue to study at least one modern foreign language (MFL) to GCSE
• All students will experience a range of opportunities to develop their linguistic skills including visits to European countries
• All students in Year 7 through to Year 9 will study a variety of ICT and Computing based projects. In Year 10 and Year 11 option of taking a GCSE in Computing or ICT.
• Physical Education (PE) is taken by all students and is available as a full-course GCSE option
• Religious Education (RE) is provided for all students throughout years 7 to 11 including a full GCSE course
• Some 15 optional subjects are available at GCSE including Psychology
• If there is a demand further provision is made for particular courses: for example GCSE Dance and Astronomy have been offered in recent years.