School Admissions

Students must sit the Admissions Tests to be considered for a place

Admissions for Year 7

We would love to give a place to everyone who wants to come to North Halifax Grammar School (NHGS) but sadly that isn’t possible.  We admit 180 pupils per year into Year 7, and these places are awarded strictly in line with the terms of our admissions policy which you can download from this page.

Entry to the school will be determined by academic ability and attainment as identified by admissions exam which will be a test of ability - irrespective of sex, race or disability.

Admissions Test Registration

Parents need to register their child to sit the admissions test (please note, an application to sit the test is not an application to attend the school – refer to your local authority’s website for information on applying to secondary schools) .  We operate a joint registration and admissions process with Crossley Heath School, and registration forms for the test can be accessed from both schools and their websites.

Registration for the 2019 intake is now closed.  The Admissions Test will be held on Saturday September 29th 2018.  Parents will be informed of the results of the tests by October 26th 2018. For more information about the test, please click here.

School Registration with Your Local Authority - deadline 31st October 2018

In common with all state schools throughout the country,  school applications must be submitted to the local authority (LA) in which the child is resident. Information leaflets about the application process for secondary schools were distributed to all parents of children in Calderdale schools in June, and school applications must be submitted by Wednesday 31st October 2018 at Residents outside of the Calderdale area must apply to their home local authority, even if a Calderdale school is preferred. The LA will then allocate places according to the coordinated scheme and parents will be informed by letter on Friday March 1st 2019.

NHGS must be included as one of the five preferences when applying if you want your daughter or son to be considered for a place in September 2019. Parents are strongly advised to place NHGS FIRST if it is their preferred school.

Casual Admissions into Years 7 to 11

Anyone wishing to transfer to the school, other than at the normal date of entry in September, must apply on a Casual Vacancy Application Form, and must be on the waiting list at the time of the vacancy.

Applicants wishing to transfer to NHGS, either from another school in Calderdale or from a school in another local authority (LA), need to complete a ‘Transfer Request for Calderdale Schools’ form available from the LA.

If the application is from a student attending a school in another LA or who has recently moved into the area, the application will be sent to the school. If there is a vacancy in the appropriate year, the applicant will be invited into the school to sit tests in English, Mathematics, a Modern Foreign Language and Science.  If the applicant meets the criteria of ability and attainment, then a place will be offered.

The LA or the school may inform the parent(s) of the outcome of the application.