Outstanding Post-16 Provision
Choosing what to do next after Year 11 is an important decision. You need to consider all possibilities very carefully. At North Halifax Grammar School (NHGS) we provide a vibrant and friendly environment in which students are able to learn, develop as individuals and enjoy themselves.
The great majority of our school's Year 11 students choose to progress to our Sixth Form where they are joined by a significant number of high-achieving students from other schools, who also recognise our expertise and excellence in Post-16 education. For more information on our entry requirements please see the Sixth Form Admissions page.
There are currently over 350 students in the Sixth Form, engaged in a wide range of courses and activities.
At the Heart of the School
The NHGS Sixth Form is very much at the heart of our school, both physically and spiritually, as our Sixth Form students provide additional first class leadership for students lower down the school.
Year 13 student, 2018-2019
As a Sixth Former, you can get involved with a lot of extra activities in school. These can be as little as being a mentor for younger years in a subject or as big as running a production for First Bow, organising and training with the lower school sports teams or being a part of a business involved in Young Enterprise. These are only a few things on offer as a Sixth Former. As well as extra activities, Sixth Formers are our main bridge between students and teachers.
We then have selected students who are Prefects and when on duty, they make sure students are safe at break and lunchtimes, as well as making sure behaviour and uniform are correct. Being a Prefect looks great on your CV but also helps you gain confidence, self-esteem and being a part of the student body. As a Senior Prefect, I oversee how the prefects are involved with school life and how they interact with lower school students. An example of this interaction is being a Year 7 or Year 8 Form Prefect. The role of this Prefect is to visit and help out in form time but also act like an older sibling for the students to go to with any problems.
Being a Sixth Form student gives you freedom which you didn't have in lower school but also discipline as you have to organise your work and manage your free time appropriately with school, work commitments and a social life. NHGS also offers a lot of support to students when in need; teachers are very approachable with problems within subjects and also with worries about general matters.
Why choose NHGS Sixth Form?
- Our results are consistently excellent in a wide range of subjects, including mathematics, the sciences and social sciences, languages and creative subjects
- Our purpose-built Sixth Form Learning Centre has hi-spec teaching rooms, as well as social, catering and study facilities. Students also have access to excellent sports amenities, including the £3m sports hall which opened in September 2017
- Our teachers are highly qualified, with a proven track record of delivering excellent results. Many teachers have experience of teaching for GCSE and A Level therefore understanding the link between the certificates and how best to manage students' transition between the two
- We pride ourselves on our pastoral care system, and our personal tutors are teachers who provide caring and effective support which keeps students on track
- We encourage students to become confident, independent learners, who use their time and resources effective so they are ready for university or employment
- We deliver an extensive range of enrichment opportunities in such areas as music, drama, sport and business and enterprise. These promote personal development and build fantastic personal statements and CVs
- We provide excellent careers advice to help students plan for the 'next stage'