All staff at NHGS are concerned that high standards are maintained. An orderly and efficient environment contributes to the well-being of everyone in the school and requires the co-operation of all. Care of oneself and concern for others underpin the organisation of the school. Below, you will find the NHGS Rules, Lesson Code of Conduct and Circulation Routine. The School Rules and the Lesson Code of Conduct are also printed in the Student Planner for 2016 –2017.
Safety, security, and the school's reputation depend upon your behaviour and appearance. The school rules apply to students when they are at school, travelling to and from school, representing the school in sports and other activities, and when they are taking part in school visits and trips.
- All students are expected to show proper consideration for other people and for property.* Students should always be honest, helpful, courteous, respectful and responsible.
- All students must observe the Lesson Code of Conduct and the Circulation Routine at all times.
- Full school uniform is to be worn correctly in school. Sixth Form students must adhere to the Sixth Form Dress Code.
- Students must stay within the school grounds. Only students who have been given prior permission to leave the school premises may do so.
- Cigarettes, alcohol, and any illegal and / or dangerous substances are forbidden to all students, both on the school premises and on the journey to and from school.
- No item which is deemed to be dangerous** must ever be brought to school.
- No item must ever be used as a weapon***.
- Chewing gum is not allowed in school.
* This rule refers to the Governors' Charging Policy, which enables the Headteacher to charge any students for
damage which is caused deliberately or carelessly.
** The following is a list of items which are deemed to be dangerous. This list does not constitute a comprehensive list and is to be regarded as guidance only.
- Air weapons
- Knives of any sort
***A weapon for these purposes is any item which can be used or can be adapted to be used to threaten or cause actual or perceived injury to any person.