What is SENDIA?
SENDIA provides a framework for us to deliver effective SEND and inclusive practices within the school; which will in turn generate high outcomes for students with SEND, in line with SEND Code of Practice and Ofsted.
What will it include?
- Create a working group that will be made up of representatives from all groups with an interest in SEND education. (Staff, students, governors and parents). They will meet once a month to check progress and update the Stakeholders.
- Self evaluation of the school centred on characteristics of the school, Ofsted rating and pupil anecdotes.
- Creating an Action Plan and using EHC plans.
- Visit from an assessor to verify that the objectives are met.
How will it help?
The award will help us develop high quality SEND provision throughout the school by:
- Promoting awareness of SEND issues and inclusion for all staff, parents and governors.
- Promoting awareness to all students, including those not on the SEND register.
- Evaluating and improving classroom practices and interventions
- Focussing on student outcomes.
What are out Targets?
- Ensure Quality First Teaching for all students.
- Ensure our school is FULLY inclusive.
- Ensure all teachers use and participate in the graduated approach (Assess, plan, do, review).
- Involve students and parents in all aspects of SEND.
- Demonstrate that the school’s provisions for SEND are effective in achieving good outcomes for all attending NHGS.
Objectives of SENDIA
- 1. The school demonstrates a commitment to achieving and maintaining the SEND Inclusion Award, including informing relevant stakeholders.
- 2. The school’s SEND policy and practice is compliant with legislation and DfE guidance and promotes and inclusive ethos.
- 3. There is a strong and effective leadership and management of SEND provision.
- 4. Everyday teaching for pupils with SEND is good or better.
- 5. There is an effective system for identifying pupils’ special educational needs.
- 6. Pupils are actively involved in decision-making about, and the delivery of, their own SEND provision/ support.
- 7. Parents are actively involved in decision-making about, the delivery of, their child’s SEND provision/ support.
- 8. The school is committed to providing high quality, ongoing continuing professional development (CPD) on SEND.